New Life for Longini-Herrmann House
posted by Hemisfair Staff on
We’re grateful to the Texas Historical Foundation for their recent commitment toward historic preservation and interior stabilization efforts of the Longini-Herrmann House at Hemisfair! Philanthropic investment in the home’s restoration provides an opportunity for an additional local business to thrive, preserve a special piece of San Antonio’s history, serve the community and support Hemisfair’s sustainability.
A little bit about Longini-Herrmann: In 1892, the property was conveyed to Mr. Emanuel Longini, who built the present home and lived there for 20 years. In February 1916, Mr. William Herrmann, Sr., a prominent wheat grower, cattleman and banker, purchased the home. According to historic records, the house remained in the Herrmann Family longer than any other owners (1916-1965). Mr. Herrmann was responsible for the original restoration of the home, using skilled European wood carvers and technicians. The living room and dining room were hand-painted in original oil paintings by German artists. The Herrmann Family later conveyed the property to the City of San Antonio for the development of the 1968 World’s Fair.
To learn more about the Texas Historical Foundation or sign up for their newsletter, visit texashistoricalfoundation.org.